Low Mount Turbo
The first thing to consider when designing a turbo kit;
What are your goals from it?
This will lead to a correctly sized turbo for that outcome and application.
Our goals are to:
- Keep the driving characteristics of the Rx8 meaning no peaky power delivery and a smooth torque curve all the way to a slightly lower redline of 8500rpms.
- Early spooling, generating boost by 2250-2500rpm and on target by 3000rpm.
- Internally wastegated to simplify the design.
- Achievable of generating 300WHP (+350HP)
The Turbo we chose for this is the XONA ROTOR X2C XR5448 which boasts the following features:
- Oil lubricated from vehicle system
- Water cooled from vehicle system
- 54LB/Min HTZ Compressor Wheel
- 51.5MM Inducer/ 71MM Exducer
- 54/48MM Turbine Wheel
- Dual Ceramic Ball Bearing
- Billet Stainless Steel Lightweight Bearing Housing
- V- band 0.8 TiAL Housing
The next job now we have the turbo is to design the manifold, now it probably will not come as a surprise but we are producing a stainless steel billet manifold, this will mean production parts are all perfectly the same as well as maximising space which we all know is a limiting factor on the Rx8, especially for the RHD versions.
This design now has gone forward to the manufacturer to produce a fully functional prototype!
- Stainless Steel 304 CNC machined for precision.
- Internal contours and channeling to maxmise the gas flow.
- Utilises internal wastegate mounted within the turbo unit.
Stay tuned for further updates!